Friday, January 11, 2008

The last day


Monday will be Evan's last day with Jean, his speech therapist. I'm still kind of in shock that it's coming to an end for now. We've been seeing Jean since spring of 2002-he was still a baby! She told me last week that she really doesn't feel that he needs weekly therapy anymore. His test scores are where they are suppose to be (if not above) for his age and she feels as though he's doing great and has made tremendous progress. She has assured me that I can call or email her at any time and she will always make room for him if I feel as though we need to come back. Our plan for now is to wait and see what Dr. Cotton and the voice clinic has to say in December (our next visit to Cincinnati) and go from there. At one point, Dr. Cotton talked about laser surgery to remove the scar tissue on his vocal cords. Who knows when that can or will happen so for now I just don't think about it!

I'll never forget that day in November of 2001, sitting across the room from Dr. Cotton after his first exam of Evan's airway. He told us his was a very challenging and complicated one and that he couldn't tell us if he'd ever have a voice or not. Now I can't get him to shut up! God is good.



No comments: