
It was a difficult week for me. It started with the death of a precious baby early in the morning on Sept. 26th. I was with his parents shortly after his death in his hospital room and it was heartbreaking to see their raw grief and sadness after watching their son pass away before their eyes. It was hard for me to see his lifeless body as they hadn't taken him away yet. I can't imagine that being the last image they have of their son. Sunday was the ALS walk which is always an emotional day for me. The next day was Dad's birthday. Wednesday was the funeral of that little life gone way too soon. The idea of going to a funeral for a baby is just not right. The parents were so happy that I was there and while I was teary throughout the service, I almost lost it when saying goodbye to them. The father pulled me close and hugged me tight and thanked me for what I do and also thanked me for being there for his wife. You see, they live 2 1/2 hours away and she lived at the Ronald McDonald house alone for six months and he would come up on the weekends, in between working his two jobs. When saying goodbye to her, I thought my heart would break. She holds a special place in my heart and it saddens me to think of her having to go on without her son. She was so dedicated and faithful while he was in the hospital. She texted me last week and wondered what she's suppose to do now. Her life for the past six months has been in Columbus at Nationwide Children's. I continue to pray for them as they grieve and move forward.
So, after all of this, I was in need of some family time. We traveled up north to my cousin's house, about an hour away. We grew up together in NY and since we're just a year apart, we've always had a special bond. They live in the country (Evan wants to move there) and many of their neighbors are Amish. One of them has an apple press so we took bushels of apples to their farm and watched as their apple press made us fresh cider. It was fascinating to watch AND to see these little children help their grandfather with the press. I WISH I could of taken pictures but I knew I couldn't. From there we went to the Amish bulk food store (I love that place) and got good cheese and meat and candy and then back to John and Betsy's for chili and cornbread. They have a son who is just 13 months older than Evan and then my other cousin's 7 yr old was there as well so they all had a ball together. Evan just loves going up there because they are allowed to just go outside and play and explore without any worries. I had a ball with the 6 wk old kittens that they have! I'm in love. Anyhow, it was a day full of fun, laughter, love and fellowship. Just what the doctor ordered.
No comments:
Post a Comment