Thursday, July 30, 2009

I'm ready for my weekend away

Going to Florida tomorrow and this trip couldn't come at a better time. It's been one of those weeks.

1. Found out that my 2nd dad has a fast spreading, incurable cancer. I've been friends with Shellie Rae Silcott O'Toole (my middle name is Rae too and we bonded over that) since 1981. I feel as though her family is my family too. We have so much history together. I will need to dig out some pictures of Jack and the Silcotts from over the years. I'm just sick about it. It takes me back to the day we found out Dad had ALS. Hard to get that incurable diagnosis.

2. A little baby in the NICU will probably die in the next couple days. He is a twin and he was born at 23 5/7 weeks to wonderful parents who are from out of state. Her family is here in Ohio and they were visiting when she went into labor. He's very sick. Both boys were baptized at the bedside today and news from the doctors is not good. Why does this have to happen?

3. Another baby died yesterday at the hospital. She wasn't in our unit but she was in the PICU which is just down the hall from the NICU. I don't know any details but I do know she was 4 months old and had so many loving family members there throughout the day. I only knew this from the visitor badges they had on-all had the same last name of the patient on them. What I witnessed was this-people in the hall, in the lobby, in the elevators, sobbing, holding each other up, praying. I could just sense it was an end of life situation. It was heartbreaking to witness. When I went in this morning, I checked the census and she was "discharged". Again, why does this have to happen?

I usually can keep myself together at work but not today. I barely made it out the door before the tears starting flowing. All I could think was how lucky we were 8 years ago. How lucky we are to have Evan with us today.

No comments: