Friday, July 10, 2009

No more breast cancer treatment

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer about this time 8 years ago. What a crazy summer that was! Evan was only 6 months old and we were all still trying to come to grips with all HIS medical issues and then Rosemary had to just add to the chaos. Anyhow, she had a mastectomy but did not have chemo or radiation. Her doctor put her on Tamoxifin for 5 years and then Aromasin for the past 3. Both have something to do with decreasing the production of estrogen. Anyhow, Mom is followed very closely by her surgeon and oncologist and the other day the oncologist decided to give her a clean bill of health and told her she could stop taking the Aromasin. YIKES!! It's exciting yet scary. All we can do is pray that she doesn't have a recurrence, right? I pray for me and I pray for Liz too. I don't think about it too much but we are both very diligent about getting mammograms. I can't say that I'm diligent about self-exams although I know I should be. I'm working on it!

No comments: