Sunday, April 20, 2008
I'm really not a bad person....
There was an article in the Dispatch today about the WIC program and who it serves. Here's a quote that made my blood pressure go up just a tad-"To receive services, patients must show proof of residency and meet income requirements. Under federal law, U.S. citizenship is not required." I think I have such a hard time with this subject because we had to wait 18 months to get Medicaid services for Evan-here we were, U.S., law-abiding, tax paying citizens who had a very sick baby who qualified for home care services yet we had to wait. It just doesn't make sense to me. I had to write a letter to the editor-the 2nd one I've written on the subject. I wrote one before when there was an article about all the social service assistance certain refugees get when arriving in the U.S. I doubt I'd feel so strongly about the subject if I hadn't had to deal with all the red tape that we had to with Evan. OK, I'm done and I'm stepping off my soap box now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm with you. You should be a citizen before you can jump ahead of others. It's like up here in Canada, they were toying with the idea of allowing non-citizens the ability to vote. I think not!
I've had the same feelings about section 8 housing as well as home-based services for Franklin County MRDD. #1) I am a parent member of the Help Me Grow Advisory Council and if you have specific recommendations on this, please send them my way!!!! (maybe I can help make something happen!) My magnamious, liberal answer would be that while non-resident illegals are getting services ahead of us, they are also running the restaurants where we eat, cleaning the hotels we stay at (& the hospitals we visit...) etc. But I feel you on this one! And since I'm your friend, I can vouch for the "goodness" of your character!!!!
Post a Comment