
I've been thinking about my dad alot lately. It started while I was in Florida. The last time I was there was with my dad in 2004. We went to Cedar Key along with Mom, Liz and Cathy. It was a great vacation, one I'll never forget. I can still picture my dad way out on the dock near our condo fishing-we could see him from the balcony. This would of been about 7 months before he was diagnosed. I can't tell you how glad I am we took that trip together. While I couldn't find a good picture from that trip, above is one of Evan and my parents on our trip to St. Augustine 2003. That was a very special trip as well as it was the first time we traveled with Evan while trached. Alot of work went into that trip but both my parents took it all in stride.
OK, moving on to the church situation. As I've mentioned, I've really wanted and needed to find a church, for both myself and for Evan. We went to yet another new church last week in our quest to find where we are suppose to be and as I was sitting there, I realized that I knew exactly where I needed to be. It was as if my dad was whispering in my ear. The feeling was so strong and I was at peace immediately because it made sense. I wanted to go to church in London, the church where I was married, the church where we remembered my dad, the church that I've had the most connection with for the past 28 years, since my parents moved to London-I'm actually still a member. This was the congregation that embraced my family long before but especially during and after Dad's illness-this was the congregation that prayed so hard for Evan after his birth and have rejoiced in his accomplishments. That was the answer. I needed to be able to go "home" once a week, to be able to worship with my mom and sister, to have Evan baptized in front of a group of people that truly care about him. To worship where I had spent many Sundays with my dad. We went today and as usual were welcomed with open arms. It doesn't matter that it's 40 minutes away and that it's not in our neighborhood. What matters is that I feel a sense of belonging there and that Evan will have a chance to see his grandma once a week. I found myself looking towards the area of the sanctuary where my dad often sat. I shed a few tears (as usual) but laughed as well. Evan made us all laugh because after the service he had to talk to the minister to tell him that the one stained glass window was of the Ark of the Covenant and the 10 Commandments. I'd like to take credit for his knowledge of such things but no, he knows that as a result of watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and he told the minister that! Pastor Steve is a great guy and told Evan that he loved that movie too. Too much.
1 comment:
I am so happy for you guys. I had a feeling deep down inside that you would go back "home". I am glad for that. It sounds like you have a great group of people who love you and will help you along the way. That is what it is about. The 40 minute drive will not be that bad. Hey, you spend more time at Target just "browsing". hehe
Post a Comment