A couple weeks ago I posted a devotion that a fellow TEF/EA mom had written about the scars on her daughter's body. I have always told Evan that his scars are a special part of him. Without those scars, he would not be with us today. I love the way the mom said it in the devotion. Her daughter's scars are reminders that God was able to help the doctors heal her. The scars are proof that she is loved. I truly believe that as well. God was with Dr. Teich, the man who saved my baby's life the day he was born and 13 days after when he repaired his esophagus. God was with Dr. Cotton, the man who was able to reconstruct Evan's airway when he was 18 months old so that he could breathe through his nose and mouth like everyone else. God was with Dr. Popp, the man who was able to remove his extra thumb when he was just a year old. Whether or not the physicians themselves believe in God, I know that God has given them the gift of healing.
I asked Evan if he would mind if I took photos of his scars. He thought about for a minute and said that I could. I just wanted to document the proof that he is loved.
My perfect boy
The trach and reconstruction scar
The scar down the middle was made the day he was born-part of the surgery needed to put in a feeding tube. The little one to the right is where the tube was for 3 1/2 years
Tiny little scars from all the IVs he's had over the years
The area where Dr. Cotton took cartilage from his ribcage to help create an airway for him
His thoracotomy scar, right at the shoulder blade. It runs horizontal from front to back. This was made at 13 days old when they repaired his esophagus. The puckered scar is from a chest tube
Left leg-broviac/PICC line scar
Right leg-PICC/broviac
Right hand where his extra thumb was removed
No comments:
Post a Comment