Thursday, March 10, 2011
There's no place like home
10 years ago we brought our baby home, 49 days after he was born. We were scared and he was unhappy to be out of the NICU, the only home he had known. I cried, he cried. I was not ready to have him home. It's funny because from day 1, all I wondered was when he'd be able to come home and now that he was, I wasn't sure I could handle it. Did that make me a terrible mother? I thought for sure it did. Things were too hard. Keeping track of all his meds, following the "recipe" for his formula-we had to get the caloric content just right-making sure he was being fed 18 hrs a day courtesy of the feeding pump, suctioning the trach, cleaning his trach site twice a day, cleaning his g-tube site once a day, giving him breathing treatments, making sure we have the apnea monitor on, making sure the air compressor is working so that he's getting cool mist into his trach. I didn't want to be a nurse. I just wanted to be his mommy.
But here we are 10 years later. I am the proud mommy of a smart, funny, healthy, sweet, loving, boy who, in celebration of his homecoming, ate spicy wings! He's come a long way since being hooked up to that feeding pump for his first dinner at home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
:) makes me smile every year!
Post a Comment