Ten years ago today, Mike and I sat in surgery waiting area praying for a miracle. Evan's ENT was hoping to repair Evan's airway without putting in a trach. He had been on and off the vent for 6 weeks, unable to maintain a stable airway without it. We knew that a trach was a possibility but we had prayed that the procedure she told us about would work. When the ENT came out of the OR about 10 minutes after she went in, we knew the news wasn't good. She would have to do a tracheotomy. I think I experienced every emotion that I possibly could that day. I couldn't imagine anything worse happening to me and my baby.
Now, 10 years later, I can't imagine what life would of been like if Evan didn't get the trach. Yes, it was a long, difficult and scary 2 1/2 years before it came out, but along the way I met so many extraordinary people. The nurses that were sent to my home to care for my son, women who were also caring for a child with a trach (some of which would become lifelong friends), exceptional physicians and therapists who truly cared about my child. As a result of our journey, I've been able to help other moms who are facing the same thing we faced 10 years ago and perhaps calm their fears about taking home a baby with a trach. Evan's story inspires and encourages them.
1 comment:
This brings tears to my eyes because, as you know, I was one of the mom's that you (and Evan) encouraged when my daughter came home with a trach. Olivia is now trach free for almost one year and almost free of her feeding tube. What a difficult journey at the beginning and humbling when you can reflect and look back on it. How much we learn from our children! Happy 10 years home, Evan!
Wendi, Matt and Olivia Preston
Post a Comment