Monday, April 13, 2009
A little piece of history
This is a portrait of my mother, painted by Margaret Evans Price who was one of the founders of Fisher-Price toys. Margaret was an artist and an illustrator of children's books. My mother grew up in East Aurora, NY (my hometown as well) which is the home of FP toys. My grandmother worked for Mrs. Price so that's how this portrait came to be! East Aurora is a fabulous little town-check it out at www.east-aurora.ny.us. Although we moved to Ohio when I was 9 (37 years ago this month), I still think of it as MY hometown. When I was little, so many of my cousins were there (now a couple of the NY cousins are here in Ohio!) and family gatherings were common. It's so much a part of who I am in regards to my family history. It's kind of sad that we really don't have any family there anymore other than my cousin Sue. She retired last summer and decided to move back to EA so it's great that we have a place to stay when we go up. We have a cemetery full of family members and tons of memories. I know the town like the back of my hand and love looking at our old house, my relatives houses and the church where we went and where my parents were married. It was such an wonderful time in my life. 
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment