Monday, January 18, 2016

Getting rid of plans

I cut this out of Oprah's magazine shortly after Evan was born because it was so true at that time. It was hard to get rid of those plans, but the life that was waiting was more than I could have ever imagined. 


On January 17th, 2001, I knew nothing about esophageal atresia, laryngeal webs,trachs, GJ tubes, laryngotracheal reconstuction, slide tracheoplasty, reflux, voice clinic, bronchoscopies, endoscopies and the NICU.  As of 11:41 a.m. on January 18th, 2001, my world became nothing but all those things. Without all those things, Evan would not be here with us today.  Do I wish he had been born in March as planned as a healthy, typical baby? Absolutely not.  Because he would not be the young man that he is today. He is quiet, smart, funny, and he's confident in who he is, something that I struggled with all through high school and probably something I still struggle with today.  He's also very brave.  He's been through so much yet he takes it all in stride.  Would he be the same young man if he hadn't gone through all these hardships?  I don't think so.  Not only would he not be the same person he is today, I wouldn't be either.  As a result of all those medical things I listed above, I have met some extraordinary parents, people that I am proud to call friends. People that held me up and helped me through the hard times.  People that get it.  I've seen God perform miracles over and over again with my work in the NICU. How many people get to witness that day after day?  I'm so lucky.


No comments: