Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Our little getaway

Evan's spring break was the week before Easter and we decided to just go away for a couple nights. Not too far, not too expensive. Evan read a book about Mammoth Cave recently so we decided to go there.  When looking for hotels, I came across Wigwam Village #2 in Cave City KY.  Built in 1937, it is only one of three Wigwam Villages left in the country.  So, how could I pass that up?  Well, let's just say that when we first got there, I was ready to turn around and go back to the interstate and get a room at the Comfort Inn!  Let's just say they haven't done much to the wigwams since 1937!  I didn't want to disappoint Evan because he was super excited (I didn't tell him where we were staying until we drove up).  So, I sucked it up and made the wigwam our home for the next two nights! It was clean-that much I can say! Anyhow, we had a great time.  We realized it had been awhile since just the 3 of us had gone anywhere.  Yes, we travel alot but recently it has been with other people or just 2 of the 3 of us.  Mammoth Cave is fascinating.  We took a two hour tour into the cave.  All I could think about was, what if there was an earthquake when we were down there? Yes, that's where my mind went.  We only explored 2 miles of the cave and it's like 397 miles long which is incredible. We had to duck down in places and walk sideways thru Fat Man's Misery because the passage was so narrow. Very, very interesting.  What I loved about Cave City KY is all the cheesy touristy things and gift shops! I will write more at a later date as Evan is in the midst of a sleep crisis.........

No comments: