Monday, May 18, 2009

Letter from my dad


As I was looking for something else, I came across this letter that my dad wrote before he died-he never got to finish it but what he did write touched me deeply and I haven't read it since right after he died. I've been thinking about him alot lately, wishing he was here to talk to.

Dear Family,
First of all, Liz and Cathy, Jay and Kate, Annie and Mike, as I near death I'm happy that you have all have found each other and love each other. I have never considered you as in-laws, but as my own son and daughters.

My grandsons Jack, Sam and Evan. I want you to know that I loved you before you were born. You boys have a great opportunity in life. You are deeply loved by your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and they are your immediate family and will always support you. "What do you want to be"? is probably the most asked question of young people. My advice to you on this question is: follow the voice in your head and heart that tells you what you want to do with your life. Do that and you will be happy and contented men. Your parents have provided the moral and educational background for you to succeed in following your dreams. I hope that your careers will be rewarding to you so that on paydays you'll think "wow, they are paying me to do this work that I love so much"!

The Scout oath, the Golden Rule, the Ten Commandments and the teachings of Jesus Christ are the best guidelines for living your life that I know of. Of all the great philosophers in the world, the teachings of Jesus on love, compassion and justice, forgiveness and mercy have guided my adult life and for the most part have kept me out of big trouble!! When I was in OCS three times a days as we stood at attention in front the mess hall there were three words painted on the building that I have used in my thinking and actions. The words were Duty, Honor and Country.

You all know I was born in Muncy PA in my grandma's home. I moved to Montgomery with my mother and went grades 1-12 there. Believe it or not, I played football and basketball and had parts in the junior and senior class plays, While in high school I worked and thought I wanted to be a pharmacist. I was accepted at Univ. of Pitt School of Pharmacy and stayed two years. After realizing pharmacy was not for me, I dropped out of school..................

That was all he wrote before he died. I wish he could of finished it. For those of you who didn't know my dad, he joined the Army, became a paratrooper, went to Germany, met my mom there (she was a teacher at an American school), came back to the States, got his B.S. from Pitt, went to UB for his Masters and PhD and ended up as an associate professor at OSU from 1972 to 1995.
Oh, and the picture above is of our honey locust tree. My dad gave that to us when we got married in 1999 as a little sapling. It's a descendant of the tree Lincoln stood under when he gave the Gettysburg Address. Little thing just hasn't grown the way it should but I love it anyhow.

3 comments:

Susie said...

Your Dad sounded like a wonderful man Anne. I'm so happy that Evan got to have him before his time. Hoping you are well-

Ann said...

Very poignant entry Anne. Thank you for sharing.

Hugs,
Ann

Judy said...

wow. wow. wow. He was amazing and you were and are very blessed to have him as your dad. wow.