Sunday, January 18, 2009

Evan's 8th birthday

Just a favorite picture of mine
Another favorite with Dad

Don't be jealous of my cake baking skills

I'm 8!!
Zach, Cohen, Evan and Andrew

Andrew's drawing


I think it's safe to say that the day your baby is born is one of the happiest days of your life. Right? Well, to be honest with you, the day Evan was born was probably one of the worst for me. Really. I'm sure that makes me sound like a terrible person but you know what? It's the truth. I was so sick, so drugged, so out of it that I really don't have many memories of the day itself-the memories I do have are bad ones, scary ones. Here's what I remember. Going into the OR, feeling them cut into me so then I am drugged up even more so that I don't remember his birth-Mike tells me that I asked him about 6 times what we had. Being in my room and having them bring Evan in so that I can see him (but not touch him) for a minute before they take him to Childrens and then no more memories until 9 hours later when Mike calls me from home, crying, and telling me all that was wrong with Evan. I took the polaroid picture that they gave me and slept with it under my pillow and prayed to God that the phone wouldn't ring during the night. No, the day my child was born was not a good day. I don't think I was able to truly celebrate his birth until his 1st birthday. We had made it through that first year when I never thought we would. Now, each birthday is such a gift, such a blessing. I love my little boy with every fiber of my being-he is and will be the best thing that ever happened to me and I thank God every January 18th that he is here with us.

We celebrated with the family this afternoon out in London and he's having a slumber party tonight-they are all downstairs watching Indiana Jones. I had wanted 2 friends over but he talked me into 3! I had told their moms no gifts because Evan has so much. Well, Evan's best friend Andrew drew him a picture of Lego Batman and put it in a frame. Evan looked at it and immediately turned to Andrew and hugged him. I could of cried. What a special gift.
Here is a video from our family party:




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Evan!!
Lots of Love and Hugs,
Sara's Grandma Pat

Ann said...

Happy Birthday Evan!

Eight years old. Where did the time go?

See you soon girlfriend.

xoxo
Ann

Judy said...

Why in the world does andrew always do that with his eyes?

Judy said...

oh, that picture is going to be worth BIG bucks someday.