Monday, November 3, 2008

Baptism

Evan drew this in church right after the baptism
He's dressed just like my dad!


Pastor Steve, Evan and Mike
We had Evan baptized at the bedside in the NICU when he was 13 days old, the night before his esophageal and fistula repair. He was a fragile baby with a critical airway and I just had this overwhelming feeling that I HAD to have him baptized prior to this surgery. So, the chaplain on duty that night came to the NICU and performed the sacrament for us. I always felt it was an act of desperation, not celebration.

So, here we are almost 8 years later. Once we made the decision to start going to First United Methodist in London, I knew it was time to have Evan baptized again. Mike made the decision to join the church but he had never been baptized so we asked that the pastor baptize them both. I had asked Steve what the church thought about a re-baptism and he said this: "As I see it, this would not be a re-baptism. I view it as an "extension" of the event that began so long ago. You see, a congregation must be present to witness and participate in the vows both given and received at a baptism. And, though a congregation was present (those who were there at the bedside constituted a congregation for "where two or more are gathered..."), the "entire" community of faith was not. The congregation that held Evan in prayer, that loved him before seeing him, were not there to bear witness or to vow to help raise him in the faith. By our "extending" the actions of that baptismal moment into the here and now, the entire congregation can complete what was begun. All that is to say, we can simply celebrate his baptism like in other, as the body of Christ known as First UMC in London. And, we can celebrate Mike's baptism at the same time. What a rare treat to baptize father and son, together on All Saints Sunday, which seems a very appropriate day to baptize Evan, a little one for whom all the saints prayed, and now,with whom all the saints will have the opportunity to rejoice. " Well, that sealed the deal for me!


It was wonderful. Mike and another new member were baptized first and Steve saved Evan for last. He commented about the power of prayer and how that congregation prayed and prayed for this little boy and look at him now. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. He told me later than he almost got choked up as well. Of course I was a mess! This was one occasion that I really missed my dad and had wished he was there. I know he was with though, I have no doubt. My brother and his family (minus Sam) were there as was my Aunt Georgia and afterwards we gathered at Liz's along with our close friends Jim and Diane for pizza and ice cream! Evan told me later that Jesus was there with him while he was getting the water on his head. Amen to that.




No comments: